06 August, 2015

Spotlight on Andrew Smith

Each month at Kulturá we feature one of our Open Mic poets on the blog.
July's Spotlight fell on Andrew Smith.


















Andrew is resident of Queensbury on the Halifax/Bradford border. A diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome at the age of 41 has not stopped him from pursuing a love of writing poetry, monologues and short stories. He is a regular performer on the Calderdale poetry circuit and combines his love of writing with a love of fell running.

I Run

Because the sun shines high in a clear blue sky

Because leaves rustle in the cooling breeze
Awaken sleepy birds from their daydream

Because dew raising through the morning mist
Moistens my dry lips and I can breathe again

Because the cat meows making the dog bark
And the mouse runs under the skirting board

Because the children play in parks and fields
Unaware that I am even there or even exist

Because the gravestones stand to attention in formation
All proudly displaying names, dates and family history

Because the artist does not care as he paints with madness
The blue sky black and the stream running into the sky

Because cars stop and start, go left, go right
Backwards and forwards in a multicolour ribbon of metal

Because they are there, everywhere I go, every single day
Every single night, wherever I go they are there

Because girls stand on street corners smoking and drinking
While boys ride motorbikes down back alleys

Because four walls encase me leaving me lifeless,
Soulless, motionless, breathing in stale air drenched with sweat
Through walls thick with yesterday’s newspaper headlines

Because every hour of every day it is there and I am here
Listening intently as it calls me constantly, never ending
Like a wolf howling in the night for me to come and kiss it
And feel its breath enter my body and touch my soul.

© Andrew Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment