18 November, 2015

Spotlight On Jackie Phillips

Each month at Kulturá we feature one of our Open Mic poets on the blog.
October's Spotlight fell on Jackie Phillips.

















Jackie Phillips is a forty-something year old mother of three boys.  She works full-time as a Brand/Digital Marketing Manager and has been married for 23 years to her very supportive husband Tony who runs her local group of Cub Scouts as Akela.

Jackie says that since the first time she found a pencil in her hand she has been writing in one form or another but until eighteen months ago she kept all of her work hidden away in a darkened corner. That is until she entered Rochdale’s Literature and Ideas Festival, Poetry Competition. She was amazed when she won the competition and it gave her confidence enough to begin sharing her writing with others.

Now, just a short time later, she is regular attendee at Kulturá and other open mic events in the area, where she enjoys listening to other poets and performing herself. Jackie says she has learnt so much from attending these events, met many wonderful people and made some truly amazing new friends.

What I is

I is not man
I is not yours
I is not the other half
I is not unimportant
I is not weak
I is not helpless
I is not invisible
I is not deaf
I is not impossible
I is not unfeeling
I is not the problem
I is not heard
I is not content
I is not confined
I is not represented
I is not defined
I is not silent
I is not understood
I is not alone
I is not you
I is woman

© Jackie Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment